Top Reasons to Stay at Wellnesste Lodge
- Nestled in the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains, the 60-acre estate borders more than half a mile of private riverfront near the Tug Hill Plateau, where abundant snowfall makes for excellent cross-country and downhill skiing.
- Conservationist Christophe Marin founded the lodge as a place of tranquility and restoration. You’ll find quiet spots to meditate throughout the resort.
- The red clapboard cabins have charming, rustic touches. An original Craftsman-style fireplace crackles in Thoreau’s cabin, and Leopold’s cabin features rough-cut pine harvested from the property.
- After a day of outdoor activities, enjoy a bottle of wine and a s’mores kit of graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows (included with this Getaway).
- Nearby attractions include ski areas, lakes for fishing, rivers for kayaking and tubing, The Underground Railroad Heritage Trail, and the Fort Stanwix National Monument.
Taberg, New York: Hiking, Skiing, and Country Scenery in the Adirondack Foothills
The small town of Taberg lies in the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains, less than 50 miles from Syracuse. Thanks to the abundance of natural beauty nearby, Taberg is a popular destination for city dwellers looking to rough it for a while. The area has the distinction of holding the record for most snowfall east of the Rocky Mountains, making the Tug Hill Plateau a popular spot for winter sports, including cross-country and downhill skiing, ice-fishing, snowmobiling, and snowshoeing. A less strenuous way to enjoy the scenery is to hop aboard the Adirondack Scenic Railroad, which stops at a station in nearby Utica. You can see forests, frozen ponds, and snow-covered peaks, all from the comfort of a powerful locomotive.