Property at a Glance: Wild Acres RV Resort
Wild Acres RV Resort’s name is apt—the campground sits on several acres of wilderness in southern Maine. Guests can hike nature trails that meander through woodlands, go fishing in a stocked pond, or play an old-fashioned game of horseshoes. The resort’s newest addition, an aerial adventure park, boasts seven ziplines and two ropes courses that are suitable for all ages.
- Three ways to stay: in an RV campsite with full hookups, in a one-room villa with kitchenette, or in a two-bedroom cottage with a full kitchen and screened-in porch
- Play a pickup game of basketball, shuffleboard, or sand volleyball.
- An outdoor entertainment pavilion shows movies, sports games, and Saturday morning cartoons on an amphitheater screen when the weather’s nice.
- Good for kids: a playground, an 18-hole mini-golf course, and a video-game arcade
- Distance from the beach: 1 mile
Old Orchard Beach, Maine: Beach Town with an Entertainment Pier
Old Orchard Beach’s sandy shoreline stretches for 7 miles along the Atlantic Ocean, about a half-hour drive south of Portland. The beach teems with wildlife—go fishing, take a whale-watching tour, or simply keep your eyes peeled for shorebirds flitting along the sands. A wooden pier lined with boutiques, restaurants, and nightlife spots extends 500 feet into the water near the center of the beach. For one of the best views of it all, head to nearby Wood Island Lighthouse.