Hotel at a Glance: Windtower Lodge & Suites
With its cedar-and-stone façade set against the snow-capped Canadian Rockies, it’s easy to mistake Windtower Lodge & Suites for a Swiss chalet. The lodge makes its home in Canmore, a town famed for its abundance of winter recreation and its proximity to the popular Banff National Park.
- Organic meats are used in The Wandering Elk’s mountain-inspired cuisine; your stay includes a $15 dining credit. Step out to the patio for nice views of the surrounding mountains.
- Hot buffet breakfast: Fuel up for a day exploring Canmore’s breathtaking landscape with a complimentary morning meal.
- Home away from home: All guest rooms and suites offer flat-screen TVs; suites also have fireplaces and balconies.
- Warm up: The outdoor hot tub stays open till 10 p.m., so you can relax beneath starry skies.
- Take a helicopter ride over the Canadian Rockies (extra fees apply).
Canmore, Alberta: Outdoor Adventure near Banff National Park
Near the southern edge of Banff National Park, Canmore’s captivating natural setting in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies has served as a backdrop for such movies as Brokeback Mountain and Legends of the Fall. When you’re not exploring the scenery, venture to Canmore Nordic Centre, where you can go ice skating and cross-country skiing in winter or mountain biking in spring, summer, and fall. Downtown Canmore is a great place to unwind afterward—Main Street is lined with quirky boutiques and art galleries.