Hotel at a Glance: Windtower Lodge & Suites
With its cedar and stone facade set against the snow-capped Canadian Rockies, it's easy to mistake Windtower Lodge & Suites for a Swiss chalet. The lodge makes its home in Canmore, a town famed for its abundance of winter recreation and its proximity to the popular Banff National Park.
- The Wandering Elk uses organic meats in their mountain-inspired cuisine. Step outside on the patio and you'll get nice views of the surrounding mountains.
- Hot buffet breakfast is available from the on-site eatery to get you ready for a day exploring Canmore's breathtaking landscape (included with one-bedroom suite option).
- Home away from home: All guest rooms offer large, flat-screen TVs, as well as a fireplace and a balcony.
- The outdoor hot tub stays open till 10 p.m., so you can relax beneath starry skies.
- Take a helicopter ride over the Canadian Rockies (optional; fees apply)
Canmore, Alberta: Outdoor Adventure Near Banff National Park
Near the southern edge of Banff National Park, Canmore's captivating natural setting in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies has served as a backdrop for such movies as Brokeback Mountain and Legends of the Fall . When you're not exploring the scenery, it's worth the trip to Canmore Nordic Center, a remnant of the 2008 Winter Olympics. You can ice skate and cross-country ski here in the winter, or mountain bike in warmer weather. Meanwhile, nearby Kananaskis is great for downhill skiing.
Downtown Canmore is a peaceful place to unwind after an outdoor adrenaline rush. The area got its start as a mining town. Nowadays, Main Street is lined with quirky boutiques and art galleries.