Property at a Glance: Winston Lodge & Spa, located within the Kicking Horse Resort
Under the shadow of the Rockies and the Purcell Mountains, Winston Lodge & Spa provides a relaxing respite from the surrounding wilderness. Its wood-and-stone exterior provides a rustic aesthetic, while modern rooms feature LCD TVs and WiFi.
- Enjoy stunning views from your room's private balcony.
- Blow off steam with a friendly game of pool, foosball, or darts in the game room.
- Get a Swedish massage at the onsite spa, which also offers mani-pedis and facials.
- Summit a mountain by driving up to Meadows in the Sky Parkway and taking a short walk from your car in Glacier National Park.
- Run with the wolves at Northern Lights Wildlife Wolf Centre, 19 miles (31 km) from the lodge, where you can photograph gray wolves with no boundaries, fences, or leashes.
Golden, British Columbia: Gateway to Outdoor Adventure in the Rocky Mountain Trench
Golden is surrounded by not one, not three, but five national parks. To the west lies Glacier National Park, while to the east sit Yoho, Banff, and Kootenay. And Jasper National Park is in the north. As if that wilderness weren't sufficient, the mighty Columbia River snakes through the town as well. Locals and visitors alike have their pick of just about any kind of outdoor adventure they can think of, from swimming and golf to rock climbing and rafting. In the winter, skiing, snowmobile, and cross-country trails abound, and since Golden is the birthplace of heliskiing—downhill skiing on trails accessed via helicopter—it's not too hard to venture off-road. If you need inspiration, click here for a list of 222 things to do in the area!
Nearby Edelweiss Village, former home to the early 20th-century guides who helped hikers traverse the mountains, provides architectural interest with its six swiss chalets. In town, the Kicking Horse pedestrian bridge draws attention as the longest freestanding timber-frame bridge in Canada. It also acts as a symbol of cooperation for the people of Golden.