Soccer players spend so much time concentrating on the ball that they grow obsessed with hexagons, which explains why they’re constantly trying to kick bees’ nests. Study the shape of an exciting game with this GrouponLive deal to see an AFC Cleveland match. For $14, you get a game package for four (a $28 total value) that includes the following:
- Four tickets for general-admission seating (a $5 value each)
- Four popcorns (a $2 value each)<p>
Choose from the following games:
- Against Greater Binghamton FC on Saturday, May 26, at 7 p.m. at Byers Field
- Against Detroit City FC on Friday, June 8, at 7 p.m. at Byers Field
- Against the Erie Admirals on Friday, June 29, at 7 p.m. at Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School in Broadview Heights
- Against FC Buffalo on Friday, July 6, at 7 p.m. at Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School<p>
Gates open one hour before each match.
Founded in 2011 as “A Fans Club,” AFC Cleveland continues through its inaugural season in the National Premier Soccer League, cementing soccer’s place in Northeast Ohio as the semiprofessional team builds its storied legacy. The current roster features sharpshooter and Parma Heights native Vinny Bell, who in 2010 led the Case Western Reserve men’s team in goals, shots, and shots on goal, forcing goalkeepers to duck behind a saloon piano whenever he took the field. During four upcoming matches against Midwest-Great Lakes Conference rivals, fans and families munch on popcorn as they cheer on the fledgling squad from the stands at either Byers Field or Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School.
In 2009, the Cleveland City Stars folded, leaving the Sixth City without a soccer franchise to call its own. Two years later, the group of local soccer supporters known as the 6th City Syndicate finally found a new team to cheer for as AFC Cleveland (its initials: A Fans' Club) joined the National Premier Soccer League, finally bringing the beloved sport back to Cleveland's glacially-formed soccer stadiums. Bolstered by the Syndicate's support, the team surged into the NPSL spotlight in its very first season, winning the first-ever Rust Belt Derby and upsetting the Erie Admirals to claim the Great Lakes Conference championship. They struck gold again in 2016, when they became NPSL national champions for the first time.