- $19 for one general admission ticket (up to $36.50 value)
- When: select dates from August 31–September 28
“Africa My Beautiful” An Evening Of Story And Song
- The Show: a pair of award-winning performers—one from South Africa and another from the suburbs of Zimbabwe—learn about each other’s worlds through an evening of storytelling, personal reminiscence, dance, and music of traditional, classical, and contemporary genres
- Thuli Dumakude: this actress, singer, choreographer, and vocal coach won the Olivier and Obie Award for her lead role in Poppie Nongena and is the winner of three (3) Audelco Awards in New York for writing, directing and performing her one woman show Buya Africa
- Tanyaradzwa Tawenga: this vocal artist and composer specializes in choral folk songs that incorporate the mbira thumb piano, and is is the founder of Nhanha Inc., a Shona learning language curriculum for young children facilitated through music, cartoons and illustrated children’s books, and co-founder of Shona Choir NYC, a social choir that brings together communities of Zimbabweans in the Diaspora
The Playroom Theater
The Playroom Theater is small by design. Founder Eric Krebs has produced shows on Broadway, but with this space, he says on the the theater's website, "I want this to be a place where industry professionals can pop over for a reading, a backer's audition or a small production of a work in progress." Just five rows of seats and a stage fill a black-box theater that's ideal for one-person shows or any emotionally intimate work of theater.