- One ticket to see Sturgill Simpson or American Idol LIVE!
- Where: Hampton Beach Casino Ballroom
- General admission
- Door time: two hours before showtime
- $16.40 for Sturgill Simpson on Sunday, July 26, at 8 p.m. (up to $32.80 value). Click here to view the seating chart.
- $21 for American Idol LIVE! on Wednesday, July 29, at 8 p.m. (up to $42 value). Click here to view the seating chart.
- How you met Sturgill Simpson: on his 2013 debut album, High Top Mountain
- What you may have confused that record with: a long-lost Waylon Jennings recording
- Who else had that thought: Shooter Jennings, who told Rolling Stone “he sounds like my favorite era of my dad, the Seventies… That’s what struck me about Sturgill from Day One.”
- How he switched things up: he opened his guitar’s third eye on his 2014 followup, Metamodern Sounds in Country Music, by incorporating psychedelia and lyrics about mythology, drugs, cosmology, and physics
- How critics felt: almost universally positive according to Metacritic, with Paste Magazine noting “the songs owe as much to Carl Sagan as they do Merle Haggard, most notably on the almost seven-minute ‘It Ain’t All Flowers,’ which takes ’70s outlaw country on a sizzling acid trip”
American Idol LIVE!
- Who’s singing: the top 5 finalists of American Idol season 14
- Who won the season: Nick Fradiani
- The top five, in order: Fradiani, Clark Beckham, Jax, Rayvon Owen, Tyanna Jones
- Why Fradiani looks so familiar: before Idol, he won the Battle of the Bands at Mohegan Sun as the lead singer of Beach Avenue, a pop outfit who also appeared on America’s Got Talent
- Who the Top Five stars might cover: Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Maroon 5
- Other classic covers from the season: Otis Redding’s “(Sittin’ On) The Dock of the Bay,” U2’s “Beautiful Day,” Tom Petty’s “American Girl”
- Idol alumni who have joined tours in the past: Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Fantasia, Adam Lambert
Hampton Beach Casino Ballroom
169 Ocean Blvd.
Hampton, NH 03842