Second-generation folk protest hero secured his place in musical history with “Alice’s Restaurant” but continues to fight the good fight
What You'll Get
- Seating: Tiers 2, 3, and 4
- Click here to view the seating chart
How G-Pass Works: Within an hour of purchase, your G-Pass will be in your account. You may redeem your G-Pass via the mobile app when you enter the venue. You may also print it out in advance. Use the G-Pass to enter the venue directly; you won’t need to redeem at will call. Discount reflects the merchant’s current ticket prices - price may differ on day of event.
- Arlo’s Cause: to fight fascism and injustice through music
- Where He Got It From: his father, Woody Guthrie, the folk legend known for such protest songs as “This Land Is Your Land” and “The Biggest Thing Man Has Ever Done”
- How Arlo Fought the Draft: with the satirical spoken-word blues epic “Alice’s Restaurant Massacree,” which tells the true story of how he was rejected from the US Army because of a littering charge
- Fun Fact About That Song: Its length (18 minutes and 34 seconds) is the exact length of one of the gaps in Nixon’s Watergate tapes. He has been known to stretch it out to 45 minutes in concert, though.
- How Arlo Paid Tribute to the Past: with a cover of Steve Goodman’s “City of New Orleans,” a sentimental and bittersweet ode to passenger-train travel
- How He Fought Injustice Around the World: through musical collaborations with fellow folk singers of other traditions—most notably British poet Adrian Mitchell and Chilean singer-songwriter Victor Jara
The Fine Print
About New Jersey Performing Arts Center
The New Jersey Performing Arts Center is the artistic, cultural, educational and civic center of New Jersey—where great performances and events enhance and transform lives every day. Inside its two distinct venues—the 2,800-seat Prudential Hall and the intimate 500-seat Victoria Theater—a wide array of performances are staged from classical orchestras to classic rock, jazz concerts, ballet and modern dance, headline comedy and R&B performers.