Ballet dancers spend an unusual amount of time on their toes, much like the coworker who creeps up behind your chair every day just to watch you for a while. Gaze at grace with this GrouponLive deal to see the California Ballet perform Dracula at the San Diego Civic Theatre. Choose between the following seating options:
- For $15, you get one ticket for balcony seating (up to a $36.50 value, including all fees)
- For $20, you get one ticket for upper mezzanine or upper dress circle seating (up to a $46.50 value, including all fees)
For each option, choose between the following showtimes:
- Saturday, October 27, at 8 p.m.
- Sunday, October 28, at 5:30 p.m.
Doors open one hour before each performance. The ballet is approximately 2 hours and 20 minutes, includes two intermissions, and is not recommended for children aged younger than 8. Access to balcony seating requires the use of stairs.
Established in 1968, California Ballet is known for its century-spanning repertoire that mingles classics with contemporary hits. Staged just in time for Halloween, Dracula brings Bram Stoker's opus to life by fusing the music of Wagner with gypsy brass that conjures macabre images of blood, vampires, and the grave. It was originally conceived and choreographed for the company by the late Charles Bennett in 1987, and has since gone on to draw critical acclaim and enjoy numerous productions from coast to coast. Mina Murray, Jonathan Harker, and the vampire-slaying scholar Professor Van Helsing engage the titular ghoul in a deadly dance that incorporates tango and waltz as an undercurrent of unrequited passion runs throughout. In a 1992 interview, Bennett told the Hartford Courant, “It's basically a love story . . . my assumption is that Dracula certainly falls in love with all these women,” though he makes the classic romantic mistakes of coming on too strong and being an incarnation of pure evil.
Though California Ballet sometimes features a discounted price online, this Groupon still offers the best deal available.
- The Company: since its inception in 1968, California Ballet has grown into the largest professional ballet company in Southern California
- The Repertoire: California Ballet's principal dancers restage demanding classics such as Giselle, Swan Lake, and A Midsummer Night’s Dream, but the company also cultivates daring new works (The Great Gatsby, Dracula) and fresh local talent through its school
- The Seasonal Highlight: California Ballet's annual performance of The Nutcracker at the Civic Theatre, which draws an audience of more than 25,000 people each year