- $18 for one ticket to The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Presents: A Salute to American Classics (up to $28.20 value)
- When: Sunday, September 27, at 7 p.m.
- Where: Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park
- Seating: section 101, 102, 104, or 105
- Door time: 6 p.m.
- Click here to view the seating chart
The esteemed Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, with Music Director Robert Spano at the helm, celebrates Atlanta Symphony Orchestra’s rich heritage with a Salute to American Classics. For this return venture to Encore Park, Principal Clarinet player Laura Ardan takes the spotlight in a performance of Copland’s Clarinet Concerto.
- Bernstein—Overture to Candide: Bernstein adds raucous song to Voltaire’s adventurous satire of an optimistic young man who endures earthquakes, wars, storms and the Inquisition with a smile.
- Bernstein—Symphonic Dances from West Side Story: Bernstein re-imagined his iconic theatrical score, rich with influences as diverse as jazz, classic showtunes, and the mambo, for symphonic orchestras.
- Gould—American Salute: This rousing series of orchestra variations—based upon “When Johnny Comes Marching Home”—was composed in 1942 in less than 24 hours. Now it’s a staple of American orchestras and a favorite of the United States Marine Band.
- Copland—Clarinet Concerto: Benny Goodman commissioned this concerto from Copland, and it combines a Brazilian folk influence with the signatures of Goodman’s style. To explain how he coaxed jazz out of an orchestra, Copland explained, “The instrumentation being clarinet with strings, harp and piano, I did not have a large battery of percussion to achieve jazzy effects, so I used slapping basses and whacking harp sounds to simulate them.”
- Gershwin—Selections from An American in Paris: Inspired by Gershwin’s trip to the French capital, the symphonic tone poem evokes such iconic landmarks as the Eiffel Tower and the summer cottage known as the Louvre.
- John Williams—Suite from Star Wars: Millions of Americans forgave John Williams for being British because of his iconic score to the sci-fi juggernaut. This suite includes most of the movie’s biggest moments, such as the triumphant title sequence, Princess Leia’s elegant theme, Darth Vader’s menacing march, and the show-stopping Throne Room sequence where Chewy gets his well-deserved medal.
Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park
2200 Encore Pkwy.
Alpharetta, GA 30009