What You'll Get
Orchestra concerts answer the age-old question of what sound a tree makes when it falls in the forest and then gets made into a violin. Solve the mystery with this GrouponLive deal.
- $10 for one ticket to Bach-Mendelssohn Masterworks Concert, presented by Southern Nevada Musical Arts Society (up to $19.50 value)
- When: Sunday, May 4, at 3 p.m.
- Where: UNLV Artemus W. Ham Concert Hall
- Section: general admission
- Door time: 2 p.m.
- Ticket values include all fees.
- Click here to view the seating chart.
The value of this deal is based on regular ticket prices and doesn't reflect student, senior, or military discounts.
Bach-Mendelssohn Masterworks Concert
- Mendelssohn—Psalm 42: While honeymooning in England with his wife, Cécile, in 1837, Mendelssohn began the sketches for several works—this one among them. When it was ready, he poured a group of friends a great deal of Rhine wine and had them bellow out a sight reading. With far more practice and grace than in those days, the choir and orchestra find the gravity in lyrics culled from Martin Luther's German psalm translation.
- Bach—Cantata 78: Considered to be about inner spiritual turmoil, this 1724 piece engages the choir and orchestra in a tumultuous push and pull that represents the tension of Bach's own faith and the fury that resulted when he got his head caught in the stair banisters.
Southern Nevada Musical Arts Society
For more than half a century, lovers of classical masterworks have turned to the kindred spirits of the Southern Nevada Musical Arts Society. Led by Dr. Douglas Peterson, the choral group has earned national attention—appearing with Andrea Bocelli at the MGM Grand and performing a Carnegie Hall concert—but more than that, they've developed a powerful loyalty among their members. Dr. Peterson has been the director for 45 years, and Las Vegas City Life's feature on the ensemble spotlights a solo by 83-year-old bass-baritone Neil Wilson in his 28th appearance.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires May 5, 2014. Limit 8 per person. Redeem starting 5/3 for a ticket at venue box office. Must show valid ID matching name on voucher at The Artemus W. Ham Concert Hall. Refundable only on day of purchase. Discount reflects Southern Nevada Musical Arts Society's current ticket prices-price may differ on day of the event. Doors open 1 hour before showtime. For ADA accommodations, call box office promptly upon receipt of voucher - availability is limited. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.