What You'll Get
- $22 for one ticket to see the Tucson Symphony Orchestra perform Beethoven’s Fourth (up to $43 value)
- When: Friday, March 7, at 7:30 p.m.
- Where: St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church
- Seating: section B
- Door time: 6:30 p.m.
- Ticket values include all fees.<p>
Prior to the concert, a Q&A with the conductor will start at 6:30 p.m., followed by the concert at 7:30 p.m. Box office doors open at 6 p.m. at St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church on Friday, March 7.<p>
In the season’s final installment of its MasterWorks series, guest conductor James Feddeck shepherds the Orchestra through the dissonance and subtleties that mark the program’s works.
- Mendelssohn—Hebrides Overture: Inspired by a visit to Fingal’s Cave in the Scottish islands, Mendelsohn’s symphonic overture subtly evokes the eerie atmosphere of the vast, sea-filled chamber of stone.
- Stravinsky—Pulcinella Suite: Named for a Commedia dell’arte archetype, this ballet tells a farcical tale of a suitor’s attempts to woo a young lady. Widely considered the composer’s first foray into Neoclassicism, the accompanying music embellishes preexisting Pergolesi melodies with repetition, unpredictable rhythms, and clefs surrounded by rhinestones.
- Beethoven—Symphony No. 4: The least performed of his works—and certainly less famous than his Fifth—Beethoven’s Fourth was first perceived as rather bizarre for the introduction’s jabbing dissonances. Yet time eventually turned the tide in Beethoven’s favor, leaving one critic to remark toward the end the master’s life, according to NPR, “There are no words to describe the deep, powerful spirit of this work.” <p>
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Mar 8, 2014. Limit 8 per person. Redeem starting 3/7 for a ticket at venue. Must show valid ID matching name on Groupon at St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. Refundable only on day of purchase. Must redeem together to sit together. Discount reflects Southern Arizona Arts & Cultural Alliance's current ticket prices-price may differ on day of the event. Doors open 1 hour before showtime. For ADA seating, call box office promptly upon receipt of voucher - availability is limited. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.