Hockey teams are often named after intimidating natural phenomena, such as the Tampa Bay Lightning, the Colorado Avalanche, and the Tuscaloosa Puberty. Experience the fury with today’s Groupon: for $25, you get an outing for two to see a Cedar Rapids RoughRiders hockey game at The Stable (a $50 total value). Each outing includes:
- Two Blue Zone center-ice tickets (Sections D, E, F, P, Q, and R on the map; a $36 value)
- 10 Chuck-a-Pucks (a $10 value)
- Two game programs (a $4 value)
Choose from the following matches:
- Season home opener against the Indiana Ice on Saturday, October 1, at 7:05 p.m.
- Against the Muskegon Lumberjacks on Friday, October 7, at 7:05 p.m.
- Against the Sioux City Musketeers on Friday, October 14, at 7:05 p.m.
- Against the Lincoln Stars on Friday, October 28, at 7:05 p.m.
- Against the Indiana Ice on Friday, November 18, at 7:05 p.m.
Bursting forth from their locker-room confines inside The Stable, the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders, the 2011 Anderson Cup champions, slam puck after puck into the awaiting nets of their USHL adversaries. Returning ice-rink gladiators such as defenseman Greg Amlong skate alongside RoughRider newcomers, including forward Jonathan Davis, to teach them the ways of scoring a well-placed goal and how to properly double-knot their skates. Audiences witness the ice-shredding action from Blue Zone center-ice seats, situated behind the player benches or the penalty box. During intermissions, cull from a satchel of 10 pucks to compete in the Chuck-a-Puck contest, where landing a puck on the on-ice target nets you a RoughRiders prize and a plastic baggie of melted arena ice.
Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
Despite being a relatively young organization, the RoughRiders have done an impressive job of filling up their trophy case. The team officially moved from Mason City to Cedar Rapids in 1999, leaving behind their Huskies moniker in the process. It’s been one accomplishment after another ever since. In 2005, the RoughRiders claimed their first Clark Cup as champions of the USHL. That same season, they brought home the Anderson Cup, too, for posting the league’s best record during the regular season—a feat they repeated in 2011. RoughRiders fans have witnessed much of this success at the Cedar Rapids Ice Arena. Known affectionately as The Stable for its rowdy, but family friendly atmosphere, the arena echoes with clanging cowbells on game days to celebrate goals and drive away feral Zambonis lurking outside the building.