What You'll Get
- $18 for one ticket to see the Cavani String Quartet with Mwatabu Okantah, presented by the Chamber Music Society of Detroit (up to $33 value)
- When: Friday, September 26, at 8 p.m.
- Where: The Max M. Fisher Music Center
- Seating: general admission
- Door time: 7 p.m. (atrium opens at 6 p.m.)
- Ticket values include all fees.
The only ensemble selected twice to receive the Guarneri String Quartet Award for Artistic Excellence from Chamber Music America, the Cavini String Quartet has played Carnegie Hall, the Kennedy Center, and France’s Festival de L’Epau. But even more impressive than Cavini’s venues is the quartet’s versatility. They’ve formatted their music into everything from a lecture series to poetry. On September 26, they revisit the latter by teaming up with celebrated poet Mwatabu Okantah.
- Dvorák—String Quartet in F major, “American”: The composer was inspired to write this quartet piece—his first in more than a decade—during a visit to rural Iowa. It’s not named for this location alone, however; Dvorák’s fascination with Native-American and African-American music can be heard throughout.
- COLLAGE: the quartet partnered with celebrated poet Mwatabu Okantah to create this multi-disciplinary work, which fuses his spoken-word performance with their music
Chamber Music Society of Detroit
Before Dr. Karl Haas said “Hello, everyone!” to the country, he said it to the Chamber Music Society of Detroit. But what began as an informal gathering of chamber-music fans (organized by Haas himself) has grown into one of the nation’s finest presenters of the genre. Naturally, Haas served as the organization’s first president, then went on to host Adventures in Good Music, an internationally syndicated radio program that, like the Chamber Music Society of Detroit, aimed to create new fans of classical music. It’s a goal CMSD continues to pursue to this day, bringing world-class musicians to more than 15,000 young people per year through school concerts and community events.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Sep 26, 2014. Limit 8 per person. Redeem starting 9/26 for a ticket at venue box office. Must show valid ID matching name on voucher at Max M. Fisher Music Center. Refundable only on day of purchase. Discount reflects Chamber Music Society of Detroit's current ticket prices-price may differ on day of the event. Doors open 1 hour before showtime. For ADA accommodations, call box office promptly upon receipt of voucher - availability is limited. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.