What You'll Get
- One ticket to see a Peking Opera performance
- When: Wednesday, August 27, or Thursday, August 28, at 7:30 p.m.
- Where: The Kennedy Center
- Door time: 7 p.m.
- Ticket values include all fees
- $15 for the sides of the second tier (up to $28 value)
- $19 for rows A–G of the second tier (up to $52 value)
- $25 for the sides or rows A–G of the first tier (up to $62 value)
- $29 for all rows of the orchestra (up to $72 value)
- Click here to view the seating chart
Wu Promotion Presents Peking Opera – 120th Mei Lanfang Anniversary
Peking Opera has a history as rich as its costumes are sumptuous. And this centuries-old art form, which fuses music with dance, martial arts, and dialogue, uses this costuming to great effect. For the forceful jing roles and clownish chou roles, the colors and patterns carefully brushed across the performer’s faces can reveal their true personalities and help bring the story to life without lengthy explanation or CGI flashbacks.
In honor of Mei Lanfang, one of the Peking Opera’s most legendary artists and the first to perform Beijing Opera internationally, two captivating programs celebrate what would be his 120th birthday. Each night, stars of Beijing’s Jingiu Theater Company join Mei Langfang’s son, Mei Baojiu, who was given the title of “Messenger of Peace” by the UN World Peace Prayer Conference.
- Classic Plays of the Mei School (August 27): This program includes the performance of five operas, including Mei Lanfang’s The Goddess of Heaven Scatters Flowers and Farewell My Concubine. Ribbon and sword dancing are among the highlights.
- Lady Mu Guiying Takes Command (August 28): A story of war, conquest, and loyalty follows the family of She Taijun, a retired general. When Taijjun sends her two great grandchildren to seek information about an invasion of Northern Song, one of them defeats the son of a treacherous official in a martial arts competition and is named the army’s new leader. A struggle results, with patriotism and loyalty battling on either side.
The Fine Print
Expiration varies. Limit 2 per person. Valid only for option purchased. Redeem starting day of show for a ticket at venue box office. Must show valid ID matching name on Groupon at The Kennedy Center. Refundable only on day of purchase. Must purchase together to sit together. Discount reflects BLJ Worldwide's current ticket prices-price may differ on day of the event. Doors open 30 minutes before showtime. For ADA accommodations, call box office promptly upon receipt of voucher - availability is limited. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.