Before car racing, checkered flags were used only as symbols of surrender following skirmishes between chess clubs. Watch drivers checkmate and accelerate with this GrouponLive deal to the Bojangles' Southern 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Darlington Raceway on Saturday, May 12, at 7 p.m. Gates open at 2 p.m. Choose between the following options:
- For $40, you get one ticket for seating in the Brasington Tower, located on Turn 1 (a $90 value)
- For $80, you get a race package (a $215 total value), which includes the following:
- One ticket for seating in the Brasington Tower, located on Turn 1 (a $90 value)
- Brasington Tower VIP parking (a $75 value)
- Pre-race pit passes (a $50 value)
Returning to the historic track of Darlington Raceway, the Bojangles' Southern 500 has become a Mother's Day Weekend tradition for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series since 1950. Dubbed as "the track too tough to tame," Darlington wrestles racers for the entirety of its 1.36-mile orbit, most notably with its unyielding walls, which brandish the scrapes, scuffs, and pleas for a truce from cars that drift too close. Upholding the notion that just about anything can happen on the Darlington pavement, Regan Smith shocked the racing community a year ago by cruising into victory lane ahead of Carl Edwards to hoist the famed Johnny Mantz trophy.
This year, Smith returns to defend his crown against a field that includes Denny Hamlin, Dale Earnhardt, Jr., and points leader Greg Biffle. Up to 63,000 fans park themselves in the raceway's seats for the annual showdown, including in the Brasington Tower, where eyes follow the sharp turns and brave crossing guards who are training at the track's first turn.