Live music is a huge improvement on canned music, which takes up valuable pantry space and often spoils into noxious free jazz. Keep it fresh with this GrouponLive deal.
- $29 for one ticket to see a Direct From Cuba Presents: Cuban Summer Series concert (up to $69 value)
- Ticket includes a dinner of rotisserie chicken, rice, beans, and sweet plantains, plus a rose for the ladies
- Where: Drom
- Seating: best available
- Door time: 15 minutes before showtime
- Ticket price includes all fees.
- Need parking? There's a Groupon for that.
- Yorgis Goiricelaya and Project Elegance on Friday, June 6, at 6 p.m. or 8:30 p.m.
- Yorgis Goiricelaya and Project Elegance on Saturday, June 7, at 6 p.m. or 8:30 p.m.
- Chembo Corniel featuring Elio Villafranca on Sunday, June 22, at 5:30 p.m. or 8 p.m.
Yorgis Goiricelaya and Project Elegance
Cuban-born, Grammy-nominated multi-instrumentalist Yorgis Goiricelaya has been pursuing the musical life since he first took up the piano at age eight. After relocating to Costa Rica, he began a holistic exploration of his musical roots, picking up the bass and flute, and trying his hand at writing and arranging to master traditional genres from throughout Latin America. With his group, Project Elegance, Yorgis fills Drom with his takes on Cuban son, danzon, and cha cha cha, keeping his performance sophisticated through complex instrumentation and stern avoidance of the "Hokey Pokey." Alongside his own compositions, the Latin jazz virtuoso will perform a tribute to the music of the Buena Vista Social Club.
Chembo Corniel featuring Elio Villafranca
Joined by pianist Elio Villafranca, a fellow world-renowned Cuban musician, Chembo Corniel brings his Grammy-nominated jazz quintet to the exotic global enclave of Drom for a romantic, music-filled evening. Corniel dishes out sultry rhythms on the congas and other percussive instruments as festive piano, lucid upright bass, and freewheeling saxophone and drums swirl around him. Described by Latin Beat Magazine as "a visionary who views his music in terms of its spirituality as well as an art form for the entertainment of the masses," Corniel mixes jazz and Latin melodies for a sonic mélange that spurs guests to sweeping romantic gestures, such as proposing at a PTA meeting.
85 Ave. A
New York, NY 10009