Without music, concerts wouldn’t exist and “funk” would just be the smell emanating from an old sock filled with corn. Lend an ear to this GrouponLive deal for a house-music outing to see History of House Music Old School Flash Back Weekends with members of The Hot Mix 5 at The Joynt in River North. All tickets are for general admission. All shows begin at 9 p.m. and doors open at 8 p.m. Choose between the following ticketing options:
- For $15, you get an outing for two (up to a $45 value).
- For $20, you get an outing for four (up to a $90 value).
Each member of the outing receives the following:
* A ticket (up to a $12.50 value)
* One CD with an exclusive mix made and signed by either Kenny “Jammin” Jason or Mickey “Mixin” Oliver, depending on the show date (up to a $10 value)
Choose from the following performances:
* Friday, February 24, with Kenny “Jammin” Jason
* Friday, March 2, with Kenny “Jammin” Jason
* Friday, March 9, with Kenny “Jammin” Jason
* Friday, March 16, with Mickey “Mixin” Oliver
Since the early 1980s, house music has spread its musical vines around the globe from seeds sown in the fertile and funky Chicago soil, which germinated DJs the likes of Kenny “Jammin” Jason, Mickey “Mixin” Oliver, and other founding members of the pioneering Hot Mix 5. From humble beginnings as a weekly program on Chicago’s FM radio station WBMX, the DJ collective mashed up a new sound from fragments of disco, hip-hop, and field recordings of mechanical bulls in the wild.
In their upcoming series of shows, Kenny and Mickey lead a charge of intoxicating ’80s and ’90s house music into the swank environs of The Joynt. Their low beats and distant lyrics trickle through the masses, slowly building, gaining speed, then rising in tempo before dropping an anvil of bass that transforms the dance floor into a manic flurry of ecstatic bodies. After the show, guests can revisit the evening’s wave of sonic energy by playing their exclusive CD mix while at home, at the gym, or walking the dog to its very first job interview.
Near North Side
650 N Dearborn St.
Chicago, Illinois 60611