- One ticket to see Wayra: Fuerza Bruta
- Where: Daryl Roth Theatre
- General-admission standing room
- Door time: Lounge opens 45 minutes before showtime and doors open 30 minutes before showtime.
- $49 for an 8 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday performance, October 1–January 4 (up to $99 value)
- for an 8 p.m. Friday performance, a 7 p.m. or 10 p.m. Saturday performance, or a 7 p.m. Sunday performance, October 1–January 4 (up to value)
Wayra: Fuerza Bruta
Wayra: Fuerza Bruta widens eyes, quickens pulses, and cranes necks as it treats audiences of all ages to a dance party whose dance floor is rarely subject to gravity. Set to a soundtrack that ebbs and flows from thumping club tunes to calm New World music, this kaleidoscopic show from the creators of De La Guarda demolishes the fourth wall, extending the stage over audience members’ heads as suspended performers seem to walk on air or tumble up a Technicolor wall of cloth. At one point, the air fills with water and the dancers swim, cavort, and press palms with audience members through the clear Mylar tarp suspending the water. Colorful, flashing lights illuminate a host of other marvels during the 70-minute phantasmagoria, including a man on a treadmill who must leap through oncoming rooms and occasionally bolt headfirst through walls. Attendees are encouraged to lose themselves in dance, both by the lack of seats and the abundance of carelessly placed mousetraps.
Daryl Roth Theatre
It’s hard to tell what’s going on behind the metal grillwork covering the windows of the building that still bears the name Union Square Savings Bank carved into its stone. That’s because of the blackout drapes—the vintage 1840 Greek Revival monolith with 40-foot ceilings has been a theater since 1996, when Daryl Roth took it over and got rid of all the dusty old money inside. The theater producer, who has staged seven Pulitzer-winning plays, has since opened up the unobstructed space to an array of other spectacles.
Daryl Roth Theatre
101 E 15th St.
New York, NY 10003Get Directions