Watch the festival’s queen get crowned, then sit back as dazzling floats and live performance make their way through the coliseum
About This Deal
- $20 for one G-Pass for reserved indoor seating (up to $41.40 value)
- Coronation begins at 8:30 a.m. Parade begins at 10 a.m.
- Click here to view the seating chart
Grand Floral Parade & Queen’s Coronation
- How it starts: the coronation of the festival’s Queen, a title that comes with no legal perks but a very cool crown
- What comes next: the parade itself, a dazzling affair in which floats all decked out to reflect that year’s theme vie for attention with live performances, marching bands, and a clown prince.
- This year’s theme: “Excessive Celebration”
Need To Know
About Portland Rose Festival
Known as the City of Roses, Portland has been annually celebrating its moniker for more than 100 years. Local publisher's wife Mrs. Henry Pittock and her friends held the first Portland Rose Festival in 1889, in the Pittock home's own garden. Fast-forward 120 years and this small gathering dedicated to the city's signature perennial has expanded into an annual month-long event. Gardeners whisper sweet nothings to displays featuring more than 4,000 varieties of blooms, with a focus on that year's Official Rose and its fellow honorees.
The rose show isn't the festival's only draw. Throughout its run, various public events take place downtown on both sides of—and in—the Willamette River. During the Dragon Boat Race, more than 80 local and international rowing teams pilot festive boats against each other in a heated dash down the river.
About halfway through the festival, crowds gather in Veterans Memorial Coliseum for the start of the Grand Floral Parade. Following a different theme each year, this event gathers vibrant floats bedecked in floral displays and accompanied by dance ensembles, live a capella groups, and traditional marching bands. During the parade's launch, organizers crown that year's queen and unite her with the festival's fun-loving mascot, the Clown Prince. The Grand Floral Walk gathers revelers to follow the same route as the downtown parade.