Classical music boosts listeners’ brain functions and energy levels, which is why every child should ingest a well-rounded harpsichord each morning. Treat your noggin to a mellifluous meal with this GrouponLive deal.
- One ticket to Grand Rapids Symphony presents “Cirque Mechanics”
- When: Saturday, April 20, at 3 p.m.
- Where: DeVos Performance Hall
- Door time: 2:30 p.m.
- Ticket values include all fees.<p>
- $24 for side-orchestra, middle-mezzanine or middle-balcony section (up to a $49 value)
- $33 for center-orchestra, front-mezzanine or front-balcony section (up to a $66 value)
- Click here to view the seating chart.<p>
Partnering with Cirque Mechanics, Grand Rapids Symphony presents a night of intense acrobatic feats, man-powered machines, and beautiful music. Cirque Mechanics has delighted audiences for nearly a decade with its bold shows, even winning praise from the New York Times, which described an evening as “exceptional, evocative, eye-catching, ear-catching and, to keep the list short, engrossingly entertaining.” Their collaboration with the Grand Rapids Symphony marks the concert-hall debut of their Gantry Bike: an 18-foot-tall amalgamation of spinning gears and belts that lumbers about the stage under the performers’ power. <p>
- Mozart—Overture to Le Nozze di Figaro: One of the most recognizable overtures in all of opera, the opening to Mozart’s comedy complements the performers’ infectious energy with a burbling string and wood melody that culminates in a thunderously joyful tutti.
- Vivaldi—Summer from The Four Seasons: Evoking a sunny summer day, Vivaldi’s work moves from the languorous sounds of an oppressively hot afternoon to the driving wind and flashing lighting of a sudden storm.
- Copland—Fanfare for the Common Man: A majestic horn theme slowly opens the piece to evoke the sun rising over the horizon or a sloth playing peek-a-boo over a toddler’s crib, gradually building as more and more of the orchestra joins.
- Dukas—The Sorcerer’s Apprentice: Made famous as the track that accompanies Mickey Mouse’s disastrous foray into hands-free house cleaning in Disney’s Fantasia, The Sorcerer’s Apprentice becomes perfect accompaniment for high-flying feats and escalating antics. <p>
Cirque Mechanics – Gantry Bike in Las Vegas <iframe width="450" height="243" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s63zIXEzydE" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen="allowFullScreen"></iframe>