Like the chalk line down the middle of feuding siblings’ bedroom floors, the line between comedy and tragedy is thin and can lead to melodramatic outbursts if crossed by mistake. Watch as the pros cautiously tread the boards with today’s Groupon to Intrepid Shakespeare Company in Encinitas. Choose from the following options:
- For $20, you get a Shakespeare ticket package (a $40 value) that includes tickets to the following productions:
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, running July 2012–August 2012
Hamlet, running September 2012–October 2012<p>
- For $20, you get a Modern Classics ticket package (a $40 value). This package includes tickets to the following productions:
- An Enemy of the People, running January 28–February 19
Terra Nova, running April 26–May 27<p>
- For $39, you get a full season-ticket package, which includes tickets to all four plays listed above (an $80 value).<p>
Intrepid Shakespeare Company’s third season takes exciting artistic risks as it explores innovative adaptations and unconventional venues, peppering historic works with modern music and augmenting two productions with creative, site-specific locales. Shakespeare’s dark masterpiece Hamlet lavishes onlookers with the work’s familiar and revitalized themes of family, murder, and betrayal. Thespians lighten the tone as the time-honored comedy A Midsummer Night’s Dream infuses modern nuances into Shakespeare’s classic script by incorporating bubbly pop tunes of the 1960s.
Alternatively, audiences can immerse themselves in the 21st-century political dilemmas of An Enemy of the People, Arthur Miller’s adaptation of Henrik Ibsen’s play about a town’s poisoned water supply. The play explores the themes of wealth, hypocrisy, and political corruption, exposing capitalism’s shortcomings, starting with the popular misconception that people can dive into mountains of gold coins without seriously injuring themselves. Written by the Academy Award–winning screenwriter of Silence of the Lambs, Ted Tally’s Terra Nova recounts one explorer’s journey to be the first to reach the South Pole as actors bring the riveting scenes to life at a yet-to-be-announced Encinitas location.