The best dancers can express exactly how they feel with every move, whether they’re twirling with the joy of new love or kicking out the anger of having ants in their leotard. Experience a wide emotional range with this GrouponLive deal to see the Limón Dance Company at The Joyce Theater. Choose from the following options:
- For $20, you get one ticket for section B seating (a $41 value, including all fees).
- For $27, you get one ticket for section A seating (a $55 value, including all fees).<p>
Choose from the following dates and times:
- Friday, June 22, at 8 p.m.
- Saturday, June 23, at 8 p.m.
- Sunday, June 24, at 7:30 p.m.<p>
For $35, you get a dance package (a $69 value, including all fees) that includes:
- A dance class led by the Limón Dance Company at Bryant Park on Saturday, June 23, at 10 a.m.
- A beverage at The Porch
- All-inclusive brunch at MaryAnn’s Mexican Restaurant
- Special performance of “Come with Me” by the Limón Dance Company at The Joyce Theatre<p>
Spinning across The Joyce Theater stage during “Come with Me,” a fleet of fluid, quick-footed dancers under the direction of Carla Maxwell twirl and undulate to the live lilting music of Paquito D’Rivera, who is a nine-time Grammy award winner. Choreography by Jiří Kylián and Rodrigo Pederneiras of Brazil’s Grupo Corpo joins songs such as “Ladies in White” and “Freedom” as dancers dressed mostly in black twist, whirl in pairs, and execute occasional high kicks suitable for launching a soccer ball into orbit. As part of the Limón Dance Company’s 65th anniversary celebration, the dancers will also revive Jose Limón’s 1956 masterpiece, The Emperor Jones, based on the Eugene O’Neill play.
Formed in 1946, the Limón Dance Company tapped into the prolific partnership of modern-dance pioneers Limón and Doris Humphrey, who choreographed and produced myriad performances throughout the decades. Recurring themes such as personal expression, order and chaos, and simplicity continue to resound in the company’s performances today.