All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
What You'll Get
- One ticket to see the Lyric Opera of Chicago perform The Gershwins’ Porgy and Bess
- When: select dates, November 17–December 20
- Where: Civic Opera House
- Door time: varies
- Full offer value includes ticketing fees
- $50 for the first balcony (up to $177 value)
- $75 for the main floor (up to $184 value)
- Click here to view the seating chart
The Gershwins’ Porgy and Bess
The Gershwins’ famed American opera, filled with recognizable characters, comes to life though the tale of a murder, a hurricane, and an impoverished seaside community. Familiar songs weave the themes of love and redemption through its storied plot lines. It’s the early 1930s, and Porgy, a disabled beggar, is the only resident of Catfish Row—an African-American community in Charleston, South Carolina—that will stand up for Bess. Her possessive and violent lover, Crown, killed a resident and fled, leaving the young, misunderstood Bess guilty by association. As the community grieves and time passes, her bond with Porgy grows despite the return of Crown and the disapproval of the other residents.
Since it debuted in 1935, the opera has become just as well known for its music as its story lines. Based on DuBose Heyward’s novel, Porgy, the Gershwins’ stage production infuses the tale with jazz-drenched numbers, including the famous and oft-covered “Summertime” as well as “It Ain’t Necessarily So” and “I Got Plenty o’ Nuttin.’”
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Dec 20, 2014. Limit 8 per person. Valid only for option purchased. Customers buy through http://gr.pn/1tw6nGT. Contact Lyric Opera of Chicago at (312) 827-5600 with questions. See Groupon's Third Party site terms here. Must purchase together to sit together. Lyric Opera of Chicago is the issuer of tickets. Discount reflects Lyric Opera of Chicago's current ticket prices - price may differ on day of event. Additional ticket fees apply at time of purchase. Must enter code GROUPON after selecting a date and before choosing seats. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
About Lyric Opera of Chicago
- Founded: 1954
- Home: Civic Opera House, a masterpiece of art deco and art nouveau design opened in 1929
- Mission: to engage audiences with classic operas, lesser-known gems, and new works
- Famous performers: Pavarotti, Maria Callas, dancer Rudolf Nureyev, Plácido Domingo, Marilyn Horne, Frederica von Stade, and Renée Fleming have all graced the stage