- $16 for one adult ticket to see Man Cry Productions presents The Wiz (up to $21.49 value)
- When: Saturday, December 21, at 2 p.m. or 7 p.m.
- Where: Garfield Heights Center for the Performing Arts
- Seating: reserved
- Door time: one hour before showtime
- Ticket values include all fees.
When The Wiz premiered on Broadway in 1975, its energetic, soulful reimagining of The Wizard of Oz earned it seven Tony Awards, including Best Musical. Man Cry Productions' rendition takes familiar elements from the original and pushes the reimagining even further, recasting the Yellow Brick Road as a yellow-clad dancer whose body language leads Dorothy and her newfound friends to the Emerald City. In search of the wizard who can send them back home, Dorothy, the Tin Man, the Cowardly Lion, and the Scarecrow encounter other updates by director Joey Ruffin: meditations on modern societal ills such as obesity, declining dress codes, and the prevalence of evil witches. Under direction of vocal coach Christin Amena, the cast breathes life into each of the musical's show-stopping tunes, such as the joyful, funky “Ease on Down the Road” and the spiritual-inspired “Don’t Nobody Bring Me No Bad News.”