- $36 for side orchestra seating (up to $60 value)
- $42 for rear center orchestra seating (up to $70 value)
- Click here to view the seating chart.
Dates and Times
- Thursday, December 15, at 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, December 16, at 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, December 17, at 3 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, December 18, at 3 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 20, at 7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, December 21, at 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, December 22, at 3 p.m.
- Friday, December 23, at 3 p.m.
Based on a novel by 19th-century romantic fabulist E.T.A. Hoffman, The Nutcracker weaves a magical tale of holiday adventure around one of the most recognizable scores in the ballet repertoire. It begins when young Clara receives a nutcracker from her godfather, a wizardly toymaker named Drosselmeyer. Sneaking downstairs to see the toy after everyone else has gone to bed, she suddenly finds herself caught in the middle of a pitched battle between the toys and an army of mice. After saving the nutcracker with a well-thrown shoe to the Mouse King’s head, Clara and her now-living prince venture into the Land of Snow and the Land of Sweets to celebrate.
Throughout their adventures, Tchaikovsky’s dazzling inventiveness propels the dances of nimble flowers and regal fairy queens. The “Waltz of the Snowflakes” floats weightlessly above the angelic voices of a youth choir, whereas the “Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy” tiptoes to the haunting, music-box chimes of a celesta. A medley of exotic national dances—including a Spanish bolero and Russian Trepak—add to the phantasmagoric celebration before the whole dream ends, as all dreams must.
Manassas Ballet Theatre
Manassas Ballet Theatre's 25 full-time dancers (10 of which are male) comprise the resident ballet company of the Hylton Performing Arts Center. For its shows, the theater utilizes live music, usually orchestra, to underscore the dancing on stage. It all combines into an experience that has delighted both the Washington Post and readers of Virginia Living, among others. The Manassas Ballet Theatre also boasts an international cast of professional dancers.