Live theater tends to be more thrilling than film, largely due to the heightened odds of seeing someone flub a line or deliver a stirring monologue while sitting in your lap. Witness truly dramatic close-ups with this GrouponLive deal to see Driving Miss Daisy presented by Maples Repertory Theatre at the Royal Theatre in Macon. Choose between two options:
- For $25, you get two tickets (up to a $50 value).
- For $45, you get four tickets (up to a $100 value).
Choose from the following performances:
- Friday, October 12, at 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, October 13, at 2 p.m. or 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, October 14, at 2 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 17, at 2 p.m. or 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, October 20, at 2 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 23, at 2 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 24, at 2 p.m.
- Saturday, October 27, at 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, October 28, at 2 p.m.
Set in the South amid massive societal changes, Driving Miss Daisy tells the tale of a stubborn, elderly woman and her compassionate African-American chauffeur. Originally a play by Alfred Uhry, it won a Pulitzer Prize before making the leap to the silver screen and nabbing four Academy Awards, as well as a spot on the curriculum of nationwide drivers'-education classes. The script warms the heart as friendship softens the professional relationship between Miss Daisy and her driver, exploring timeless themes of tolerance and compassion.
Maples Repertory Theatre
In its nine years as a professional theater company, Maples Repertory Theatre has expanded its production schedule from three to six full-scale shows, as well as staging occasional cabaret concerts. "No one really expects a town the size of Macon to support professional theatre," says Artistic Director Todd Davison. "We are proving that great theatre is valued by people even if they don't live in a metropolitan area." The company produces its shows at the historic Royal Theatre, named because of the moat that once encircled the VIP seats. Built in 1889, the intimate, 400-seat venue was originally an opera house and underwent an extensive renovation in the 1990s.