Like governmental spy programs, theatrical productions dress their members in cunning disguises and involve a great deal of professional fibbing. Witness a showcase of stealth with today’s GrouponLive deal for the regional premiere of The 39 Steps at Mason Street Warehouse in Saugatuck. Choose from the following options:
• For $38, you get two tickets for the performance on Saturday, August 13, at 8 p.m. (up to a $79.50 value).
• For $36, you get two tickets for the performance on Sunday, August 14, at 7 p.m. (up to a $73 value).
• For $36, you get two tickets for the performance on Sunday, August 21, at 7 p.m. (up to a $73 value).
• For $36, you get two tickets for the performance on Tuesday, August 23, at 8 p.m. (up to a $73 value).
• For $36, you get two tickets for the performance on Wednesday, August 24, at 8 p.m. (up to a $73 value).
Alfred Hitchcock’s penchant for masterful suspense collides with Monty Python–style buffoonery in The 39 Steps, a two-time Tony and Drama Desk Award–winning tale of espionage that packs more than 150 characters into its fast-paced script. Penned by playwright Patrick Barlow, this comical thriller adapts John Buchan’s 1915 novel to the stage, adding a dash of hilarity to protagonist Richard Hannay’s harrowing quest to keep Europe from the iron grip of war. Seats outfitted with armrest stress balls will ease audiences through the white-knuckle action as Richard eludes handcuffs and politely beseeches oncoming bullets to change their trajectory. An on-stage plane crash adds to the theatrics and leaves onlookers feeling like Cary Grant in a cornfield. Drawing on his New York directing credits, director Kurt Stamm thrills audiences with inventive stagecraft and rewards actors who remember their lines by calling off an ominous squadron of unmarked helicopters hovering outside the theater.
Dedicated to infusing Broadway dazzle into the thriving local arts community, Mason Street Warehouse’s professional theater company leaves no curtains undrawn in its production of each play. Produced by company manager Ellen Engle, the regional premiere of The 39 Steps promises to overflow with more action and suspense than a car chase at a rock-climbing gym.
400 Culver St.
Saugatuck, Michigan 49453Get Directions