What You'll Get
Conductors got their name by both guiding orchestras and wielding copper batons that deflect lightning away from the brass section. Behold an electrifying performance with this deal.
- $15 for one ticket to see Music in the Barns Chamber Ensemble (up to a $30 value)
- When: Thursday, August 1, at 8 p.m.
- Where: Artscape Wychwood Barns
- Section: general admission
- Door time: 7 p.m.
- Ticket values include all fees.<p>
The value of this deal is based on regular ticket prices and doesn’t reflect student or senior discounts.<p>
The Spectrolite Ensemble with clarinetist Sean Rice and cellist Vernon Regehr joins the Music in the Barns Chamber Ensemble as it concludes its second season. The home-court concert focuses on modernist classical pieces while drifting into jazz and minimalism. An informal chat at 7:30 p.m. precedes the show.
- Philip Glass—String Quartet No. 5: In five rich movements, Glass recombined his trademark syncopation, minor-mode arpeggios, and deep harmonies in a way that’s wholly unexpected, especially when encountered in an alley at midnight.
- Heinrich Baermann—Adagio for Clarinet and Strings: Called “Wagner’s Adagio” because its authorship was mis-attributed for nearly 40 years, this piece is both lushly layered and bucolic in its simplicity—qualities not often ascribed to the creator of the bombastic Ring cycle.
- Alan Shulman—Rendezvous for Clarinet and Strings: Shades of jazz color Shulman’s chamber contemplation, which sees the clarinet noodling confidently above a foundation of double bass pizzicato.
- Elliott Carter—Gra for Solo Clarinet: The clarinet flits high and low like a hummingbird who’s had one too many margaritas in this tribute to Polish composer Witold Lutoslawski; the title (Polish for “Game”) reflects its playful nature.
- Paul Hindemith—Clarinet Quintet, Op. 30: The powerful, five-note opening line recurs again and again in this five-movement whirlwind, which manages to switch emotional gears every couple of minutes without losing a sense of cohesion.<p>
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Aug 1, 2013. Limit 8 per person. Redeem starting day of show for a ticket at venue. Must show valid ID matching name on voucher at Artscape Wychwood Barns. Refundable only on day of purchase. Discount reflects Music in the Barns' current ticket prices-price may differ on day of the event. Doors open 1 hour before showtime. For ADA seating, call box office promptly upon receipt of voucher - availability is limited. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
About Music in the Barns Chamber Ensemble
The resident instrumentalists at Artscape Wychwood Barns, the Music in the Barns Chamber Ensemble makes good use of the surprisingly effective acoustics of the renovated warehouse it calls home. Dedicated to the works of modern and contemporary artists, the ensemble works closely with composers and builds their programs around 20th and 21st century artists. Not just classical artists either—the group has not only worked with Yo-Yo Ma, the Montreal Symphony Orchestra, and the Canadian Opera Company, but also with Kanye West, Mary J. Blige, and Richard Reed Perry of the Arcade Fire.