What You'll Get
- Tickets to the Taiko Drum Concert at Black Ships Festival
- When: Sunday, July 20, at noon
- Where: Cardines Field
- General admission
- Door time: noon
- Ticket values include all fees.
- $10 for two tickets (up to $16 value)
- $16 for four tickets (up to $32 value)
Taiko Drum Concert
- What it is: a form of Japanese drumming
- Where it’s traditionally done: everywhere from Japanese celebrations to Shinto and Buddhist rituals
- What it represents: the voice and spirit of the Japanese, the various sounds of nature, human heartbeats
- What it does: unites listeners by transcending religion, age, gender, class, and the use of cymbals
- Who’s drumming: members of Odaiko New England, a Japanese drumming group that formed in 1994
- What they’re wearing: colorful Japanese garb, which swirls through the air and catches the eye during bone-shaking thumps with intricate choreography
Black Ships Festival
The Black Ships Festival is more than a yearly event—it’s a commemoration. Specifically, it celebrates the end of Japan’s isolationism from the United States, which became official after Newport’s own Commodore Perry negotiated the Treaty of Kanagawa in 1854. The treaty allowed foreign ships, or “Black Ships,” to traverse between the two far-flung nations for trading purposes. During the annual four-day festival, this global friendship comes to life in the form of calligraphy demonstrations, tea ceremonies, memorial ceremonies, and the stirring taiko drum concert.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Jul 20, 2014. Limit 1 per person. Valid only for option purchased. Redeem on 7/20 for a ticket at venue. Must show valid ID matching name on Groupon at Cardines Field. Refundable only on day of purchase. Discount reflects Newport Black Ships Festival's current ticket prices-price may differ on day of the event. Doors open at 12 p.m. For ADA seating, call box office promptly upon receipt of voucher - availability is limited. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.