- Poetry and theatrical performances
- Where: Nuyorican Poets Cafe
- Door time: one hour before showtime
- Ticket values include all fees.
- Click here for a calendar of upcoming shows.
- $15 for two general-admission tickets and two drinks on Sunday–Thursday through October 30 (up to $48 value)
- $29 for a one-year membership, which includes 4 event tickets, a voucher for one Nuyo t-shirt of your choice, invitations to members-only events, and discounts on event admission, drinks, and merchandise (up to $60 value)
The value of this deal is based on regular ticket prices and doesn’t reflect student, senior, or military discounts.
Wednesday Night Slam Open (Wednesdays)
Jive Poetic hosts this open-mic poetry slam where winners head to the Friday Night Slam to compete with professional poets.
Call Me Crazy: Diary of a Mad Social Worker (Thursdays–Sundays Through July)
Although this show only technically stars one woman, it also stars 25 characters that she brings to life as she recounts the undulating trials of being a social worker.
Brownsville Bred (Mondays in July and August)
Elaine Del Valle’s autobiographical one-woman play has been called “a triumph” by the New York Times and “a heart-stopping and thought-provoking soliloquy” by WCBS 880 radio.
Nuyorican Poets Cafe
The Nuyorican Poets Cafe began in 1973 as a literary get-together in the living room of college professor and celebrated scribe Miguel Algarin. By 1975, sick of cleaning up dangling clauses left all over his house, Algarin began renting the Sunshine Café to give local writers and performers a venue to develop their craft. In 1980, the nonprofit organization moved to its current home in a century-old tenement on East Third.
Today, the Nuyorican Poets Cafe plays a crucial, street-level role in New York’s art scene. Randomly selected audience members judge weekly poetry slams, and the venue plays host to small theatrical productions on many Thursdays through Sundays. Other evenings may feature hip-hop concerts, snappy Latin jazz, and freewheeling open-mic nights.