What You'll Get
- One ticket to see Perseverance Theatre presents An Iliad
- Where: Sydney Laurence Theatre at the Alaska Center for the Performing Arts
- Seating: orchestra section 300
- Ticket values include all fees
- Click here to view the seating chart
Dates and Times
- $18 for Wednesday, October 29, at 7:30 p.m. (up to $34.75 value). Doors open at 7 p.m.
- $24 for Friday, October 31, at 7:30 p.m. (up to $46 value). Doors open at 7 p.m.
Before it was set in text and solidified on the silver screen, Homer’s epic tale of the Trojan War was an elastic, shape-shifting beast. Poet passed the tale to poet through song, making up the details in the moment while sticking to the basic structure and the same characters. So when Lisa Peterson and Denis O’Hare decided to bring the classic to the stage, they brought this loose tradition back too. While tales of battle throw men and gods together, all the audience sees a Poet, Bostin Christopher, and a musician, Lucy Peckham, expressing the tale through music. “It’s a good story,” the Poet says, though its telling is not without a price. “Every time I sing this song, I hope it’s the last time.” While the staging is simple, the performance is anything but: “The language sears impossible-to-stage tableaux of death and destruction on your mind’s eye,” wrote Time Out New York of the original production, calling it “pure theater: shocking, glorious, primal and deeply satisfying.”
- 1979: the year Perseverance Theatre was founded
- 34: total seasons
- 65: world premiere productions, and counting
- 2: number of “R”s in Perseverance. It seems like there should be more, but no, it’s just two.
- 15,000: approximate number of artists and audience members Perseverance reaches each year
- 1998: the year Paula Vogel won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama for her play How I Learned to Drive, which she wrote and developed while in residence at Perseverance
- 1: number of stories on NPR’s All Things Considered focused on the theater’s mission to serve its community
The Fine Print
Expiration varies. Limit 8 per person. Valid only for option purchased. Redeem starting day of event for a ticket at venue box office. Must show valid ID matching name on voucher at Sydney Laurence Theatre. Refundable only on day of purchase. Must purchase together to sit together. Discount reflects Sydney Laurence Theatre's current ticket prices-price may differ on day of the event. Doors open 30 minutes before showtime. For ADA accommodations, call box office promptly upon receipt of voucher - availability is limited. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.