Going to the theater lets you take in dramatic scenes at a safe distance, much like listening to your neighbors argue about how to pronounce gnocchi. Hide behind the fourth wall with this GrouponLive deal: for $25, you get a premium play season pass from Pride Film and Plays (a $50 value), which includes the following:
- One ticket to each of three GLBT-themed plays
- Six free tickets to be used during Gay Play Weekend, Gay Film Weekend, or Women’s Work Weekend
- Premium pass holders’ names listed in the season’ program
- At the Flash at Hoover-Leppen Theatre at Center on Halsted, running from November 16 to December 16
- Beautiful Thing at Luna Central Theatre, running from January 17 to February 17. Showtimes are Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays at 7:30 p.m. and Sundays at 2 p.m.
- Under a Rainbow Flag at Profiles Theater at 4147 N Broadway, running March 23 to April 21.
Doors open 30 minutes prior to each play’s showtime.
Pride Films and Plays brings writers together with stage and screen professionals, encouraging collaboration on exceptional pieces that address the nuances and issues of the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender community. During At the Flash, actor and cowriter David Leeper embodies five different characters over the course of as many decades. Leeper shares the stories of disparate personalities, including a closeted man in the 1960s and a lesbian activist in the 1990s, with the aplomb and humor that earned the play the winning title of PFP’s 2012 Great Gay Play and Musical Contest. The 20th anniversary production of Beautiful Thing, starring PFP ensemble member Michelle McKenzie-Voigt, takes Luna Central’s stage in January and February to weave the tale of a struggling working-class family on the outskirts of London. The world-premiere, true-life story Under a Rainbow Flag interlaces music and comedy to narrate the lives of gay soldiers in WWII.