What You'll Get
Country music has been described as "three chords and the truth," unlike the blues, which is known as "12 bars full of premeditated lies." Hear some honesty with this GrouponLive deal.
- $20 for two tickets to see Reckless Kelly or Cody Johnson (up to $40 value)
- Where: Sam Houston Race Park
- Section: general admission
- Ticket values include all fees.
- Reckless Kelly on Friday, May 2, 8 p.m. entry
- Cody Johnson on Saturday, May 10, 8 p.m. entry
Admission to the concert is free if you purchase a general-admission ticket to the races prior to 8 p.m. This Groupon is best for guests who do not plan to attend the races or arrive before 8 p.m. Performances commence after the last live quarter horse race, at approximately 10 p.m.
- Times they've won Austin Music Awards (for Best Roots Rock and Best Country): six
- Where they're based: Austin, Texas
- Where they formed: Bend, Oregon
- Their namesake: notorious Australian outlaw Ned Kelly
- Pursuits they share with Kelly: making their way outside the system; avoiding charges of cattle thievery
- Cody Johnson's newest release: 2014's Cowboy Like Me
- How to be a cowboy like him: start a high school band with fellow members of the Future Farmers of America, then get a job with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice before transitioning into competitive bull-riding. Then pursue a musical career.
- His first sign that he was fated for country stardom: being named "New Male Vocalist of the Year" by the Texas Regional Music Awards in 2011
- His second sign: a thumbs-up from his wife Brandi
- His third sign: the fact that he was born wearing a cowboy hat
Sam Houston Race Park
Sam Houston Race Park's multifunctional grounds crawl with up to 30,000 spectators reveling amid horseraces, concerts, and private events. Quarter Horses, Thoroughbreds, and Arabians kick up dust as jockeys maneuver them around the course, cheered on by race fans placing bets based on their stats, the weather, and the size of the horse's toupee. Spectators can also watch and wager on races outside the park's grounds, as monitors air simulcasts of the big races, including the Arlington Classic Stakes and Los Angeles Handicap. In two restaurants under the supervision of executive chef Hugo Gomez, the racetrack treats guests to panoramic views of the competition as they dine on seafood, gourmet pastas, and brunch fare. Guests may also entertain from 15 up to 100 friends, employees, or colleagues in luxury suites equipped with a private bar and an in-room centaur butler.
The Fine Print
Expiration varies. Limit 8 per person. Valid only for option purchased. Redeem on day of show for a ticket at venue box office. Must show valid ID matching name on voucher at Sam Houston Race Park. Refundable only on day of purchase. Discount reflects Sam Houston Race Park's current ticket prices-price may differ on day of the event. Concert begins immediately after the last American Quarter Horse race at approximately 10PM. For ADA seating, call box office promptly upon receipt of voucher - availability is limited. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.