- $10 for one adult ticket for orchestra seating (up to $16.52 value)
- $7 for one student or senior ticket for orchestra seating (up to $11.34 value)
Fresh off a summer tour of Europe in 2015, the SJYS Philharmonic Orchestra fills the California Theatre’s chamber with the joie de vivre of a youthful esprit de corps. For the orchestra’s spring concert on March 24, the lineup includes two concertos featuring winners from the SJYS’s 2015 Young Artist Competition: Lauren Collar on flute and Minki Kim on cello.
- Rossini—La Gazza Ladra Overture: Translating to The Thieving Magpie, the history of this opera’s overture is rife with mischief: Rossini is said to have written it in a hurry, throwing out sheets of music to his copyists in a frenzy, and Stanley Kubrick famously used the piece to score the puckish violence of A Clockwork Orange.
- Gordeli—Concertino for Flute and Orchestra: A lesser-known composer from Soviet Georgia, Gordeli was nonetheless a master of melody. HIs talent is evident in this showcase for nimble-fingered flautists; the piece is often compared to the flighty style of George Gershwin.
- Lalo—Cello Concerto in D Minor: The cello is one of the most versatile instruments in the orchestra, and Lalo’s concerto makes good use of it. The piece challenges the soloist —like William Tell in a job interview— to prove his proficiency with a bow.
- Tchaikovsky—Romeo and Juliet Fantasy-Overture: The symphonic poem sounds a darker chord than might be expected by those who believe Shakespeare’s play is just a teenage love story.
San Jose Youth Symphony
The San Jose Youth Symphony, founded in 1959 under the San Jose Symphony, incorporated as an independent, non-profit organization in 2002, providing musical education to thousands of local kids. Now comprising 11 groups of varying sizes and experience levels, the orchestras and instrumental ensembles perform in several regularly scheduled concerts every season, as well as a biennial international tour that gives the Philharmonic Orchestra the chance to travel to exotic locales and learn which countries have the fluffiest hotel towels.