What You'll Get
- $15 for two tickets to San Jose Youth Symphony's Philharmonic Orchestra Presents Its Season Opener (up to a $33.04 value)
- When: Saturday, December 7, at 2:30 p.m.
- Where: California Theatre
- Section: general admission
- Door time: 1:30 p.m.
- Ticket values include all fees.
- Click here to view the seating chart.
The value of this deal is based on regular ticket prices and doesn't reflect student, senior, or military discounts.
The San Jose Youth Symphony's Philharmonic Orchestra rings in its new season by welcoming some of the winners of the 2013 Young Artists' Competition. Under the direction of Yair Samet, the musicians perform a concert of 19th and 20th century works, joined by featured flutist William Yeh and harpist Joyce Chen.
- Wagner—Meistersinger Overture: Wagner's opera Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg pays tribute to the German Mastersingers, and explores the relationship between composers and the work they create. The overture evokes a sense of fastidious grandeur, echoing with deep brass, rolling drums, and percisely plucked harps.
- Reinecke—Flute Concerto in D Major: The sweet sounds of a lone flute glide over a waltzing, romantic line played by the strings.
- Gounod—Ballet Music from Faust: Illustrating the dangerous temptation of the eponymous scholar, a chorus of strings flirt with the twinkling sound of a flute before the crash of cymbals transforms the languid dream into a vivid nightmare.
- Gliere—Harp Concerto in E Flat Major: Gliere composed this enchanting piece with the help of renowned musician Kseniya Erdelyi, widely considered to be Russia's foremost harpist.
- Rimsky-Korsakov—Capriccio Espagnol: This five-movement piece for full orchestra, is a lively celebration of Spanish folk music, in which violins, violas, and cellos trill through dance-like melodies and imitate the sounds of a Spanish guitar.
San Jose Youth Symphony
The San Jose Youth Symphony, founded in 1959 under the San Jose Symphony, incorporated as an independent, non-profit organization in 2002, providing musical education to hundreds of local kids. Now comprising eight groups of varying sizes and experience levels, the organization stages dozens of concerts each year, as well as a biennial international tour that gives the Philharmonic Orchestra the chance to travel to exotic locales and learn which countries have the fluffiest hotel towels.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Dec 8, 2013. Limit 8 per person. Redeem starting 12/7 for a ticket at venue box office. Must show valid ID matching name on Groupon at California Theatre. Refundable only on day of purchase. Discount reflects San Jose Youth Symphony's current ticket prices-price may differ on day of the event. Doors open 1 hour before showtime. For ADA accommodations, call box office promptly upon receipt of voucher - availability is limited Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.