- $12 for one ticket to see Saudades do Brasil, presented by Macomb Symphony Orchestra (up to $21.50 value)
- When: Friday, May 9 at 8 p.m.
- Where: Macomb Center for the Performing Arts
- Seating: best-available central seating, assigned upon arrival
- Door time: 7:30 p.m.
- Ticket values include all fees.
The value of this deal is based on regular ticket prices and doesn’t reflect student, senior, or military discounts.
Brazilian-born pianist Maria Meirelles, a longtime Detroit native and possessor of what the New York Times has called “unshakable technique,” joins the Macomb Symphony Orchestra for an evening of music inspired by the land where she hatched from a soccer ball.
- Otto Respighi—Brazilian Impressions: Inspired by the Italian composer’s 1928 trip to Rio de Janeiro, Respighi’s three-movement creation evokes the feeling of a night in the tropics, complete with the slither of a snake and the fervor and fun of traditional Brazilian dance.
- Heitor Villa-Lobos—Momo Precoce: One of Brazil’s most celebrated composers based this piece for orchestra and solo piano on children’s songs; appropriately, it follows a group of children excitedly preparing for the great Carnival of Rio.
- Darius Milhaud—Saudades do Brasil: A diplomatic assignment brought the French composer to Rio, where he was inspired to craft 12 tango- and samba-based dances for solo piano and name them after Brazilian cities and neighborhoods.
Macomb Symphony Orchestra
From its many violinists to its lone contra bassoonist, the heart of the Macomb Symphony Orchestra is 70 musicians strong. The pulse, however, is Thomas Cook. The conductor of the MSO for nearly 40 years, Cook also serves as its music director, programming evenings that range from the classically sublime to the delightfully unexpected—such as the 2014–2015 season's Music '70s Style. While their size helps them bring dynamic works such as Carmina Burana to life, they don't merely travel in packs. Chamber ensembles, such as the string quartet, flute and harp duo, and brass quintet, travel throughout the community to brighten weddings and bring classical music to schools.
Macomb Center for the Performing Arts
44575 Garfield Rd.
Charter Township Of Clinton, MI 48038