Conductors got their name by both guiding orchestras and wielding copper batons that deflect lightning away from the brass section. Behold an electrifying performance with this GrouponLive deal.
- $10 for one ticket to Southern Arizona Symphony Orchestra presents Shostakovich's Festive Overture, Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez and Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 (up to $20 value)
- When: Monday, May 12, at 7:30 p.m.
- Where: Proscenium Theatre Pima College West Campus
- Section: general admission
- Door time: 6:30 p.m.
- Ticket values include all fees.
- Shostakovich—Festive Overture: Brassy fanfare introduces a breakneck sonic party of balanced counter-themes, layering melodies without diminishing the sprightly tempo. And the work was written with nearly the same speed. Commissioned to commemorate the 37th anniversary of Russia's October Revolution, Shostakovich completed his work in just three days.
- Rodrigo—Concierto de Aranjuez: Joaquín Rodrigo drew inspiration from the scent of magnolias, the sound of rushing fountains, and the social networking of bluebirds at Spain's Royal Palace of Aranjuez when he wrote this lively dance for guitar and orchestra.
- Beethoven—Symphony No. 9: Nearly deaf when he composed his last symphony, Beethoven was the only person in the auditorium not to realize how well his thrilling "Ode to Joy" was received—legend says a soloist had to turn him around so that he could see the standing ovation.
Southern Arizona Symphony Orchestra
Most orchestras aren't founded in a trailer. The Southern Arizona Symphony Orchestra isn't most orchestras. In 1979, a hornist, a percussionist, and two bassoonists chose the unusual locale to draw up the plans for what they called "the musicians' orchestra." And the company has stayed true to that motto in the years since, electing leaders from among its players and placing an emphasis on varied, engaging seasons. By celebrating major works, spotlighting new and local composers, and politely refraining from releasing remixes, the orchestra continues to spread a passion for classical music throughout the Southwest.
2202 W. Anklam Rd
Tucson, AZ 85709Get Directions