What You'll Get
- $10 for one ticket to see Southern Nevada Musical Arts Society Presents Masterworks (up to $18 value)
- When: Sunday, November 10, at 3 p.m.
- Where: Artemus W. Ham Concert Hall at the UNLV Performing Arts Center
- Section: general admission
- Door time: 2:30 p.m.
- Ticket values include all fees.
- Click here to view the seating chart.
- Mozart—Coronation Mass: Written by a 23-year-old Amadeus for services in Salzburg's St. Peter's Cathedral, this "short mass" juxtaposes soaring choral melodies, strings, and bright brass with vocal solos and duets. The power and majesty it contains made it a favorite piece to play during coronation ceremonies and montages of kings doing dignified things.
- Bach—Cantata No. 34, O ewiges Feuer, O Ursprung der Liebe: An ornate, complex orchestral score, complete with quivering oboes and trumpets, evokes the flames of the "eternal fire" conjured in the title.
- Brahms—Schicksalslied: After reading the poem "Hyperions Schicksalslied" by Hölderlin, Brahms interrupted his Wilhelmshaven vacation to start writing this musical portrait of immortality' peace and mortality's chaos. On a beach walk, the composer's friends suddenly realized he'd vanished, only to turn back and find him sitting on the sand at work.
Southern Nevada Musical Arts Society
For more than half a century, lovers of classical masterworks have turned to the kindred spirits of the Southern Nevada Musical Arts Society. Led by Dr. Douglas Peterson, the choral group has earned national attention—appearing with Andrea Bocelli at the MGM Grand and performing a Carnegie Hall concert—but more than that, they've developed a powerful loyalty among their members. Dr. Peterson has been the director for 45 years, and Las Vegas City Life's feature on the ensemble spotlights a solo by 83-year-old bass-baritone Neil Wilson in his 28th appearance.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Nov 11, 2013. Limit 8 per person. Redeem starting 11/10 for a ticket at venue will call. Must show valid ID matching name on Groupon at UNLV Performing Arts Center. Refundable only on day of purchase. Discount reflects Southern Nevada Musical Arts Society's current ticket prices-price may differ on day of the event. Doors open 30 minutes before showtime. For ADA accommodations, call box office promptly upon receipt of voucher - availability is limited. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.