All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
What You'll Get
Music is the soundtrack to our lives–from the ballad you slow-danced to at senior prom to the ballad you slowly walked home alone to. Remember the good times with this deal.
- One ticket to “‘S Wonderful! ‘S Marvelous! Gershwin!” featuring the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra
- When: Friday, April 19, at 8 p.m.
- Where: State Theatre
- Door time: 6:30 p.m.
- Ticket values include all fees.<p>
- $22 for upper balcony seating (up to a $45 value)
- $30 for mid-orchestra or mid-balcony seating (up to a $61 value)<p>
A melody can take on a life of its own, embedding itself in memories or capturing the imagination–and George Gershwin wrote more than a few. Guest Conductor Gerard Steichen is no stranger to the iconic composer’s work, having performed as a pianist in the New York City Opera’s production of Porgy and Bess. With baton in hand, he leads the NJSO, soprano Katrina Thurman, and baritone Jim Weitzer through a selection of unforgettable melodies, jazz-tinged compositions, and sentimental standards. In addition to the evening’s musical festivities, the NJSO will be collecting non-perishable food items to benefit The Community FoodBank of New Jersey.
- An American in Paris</i>: A traipsing string section takes listeners on a journey through Parisian streets, complete with blaring taxi horns; it later became the centerpiece the Gene Kelly-starring movie musical of the same name.
- Selections from Porgy and Bess: Cleverly blending jazz and the styles drawn from spirituals and folks songs, Gershwin infused his bluesy, atmospheric score with traditional arias and recitatives in this ground-breaking 1934 opera.
- Selections from Girl Crazy: Legendary tunes such as “Embraceable You”, “I Got Rhythm”, and “But Not For Me” are memorable not only for Gershwin’s irresistible melodies, but for his brother Ira’s way with words: “With love to lead the way / I’ve found more clouds of gray / than any Russian play could guarantee.”
- Other selections include songs from the Gershwin revues Someone to Watch Over Me, ‘S Wonderful, and Embraceable You.<p>
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Apr 19, 2013. Limit 10 per person. Valid only for option purchased. Redeem starting 4/19 for a ticket at venue will call. Must show valid ID matching name on voucher at State Theatre. Refundable only on day of purchase. Must purchase together to sit together. Discount reflects State Theatre's current ticket prices-price may differ on day of the event. Doors open 90 minutes before showtime. For ADA seating, call box office promptly upon receipt of voucher - availability is limited. Patrons of all ages require a ticket. Venue assigns seat location. No upgrades. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
About State Theatre New Jersey
The State Theatre New Jersey was saved, as its website states, from "the ravages of time." Built in 1921 as a vaudeville and silent-film palace, the venue fell on hard times in the 1970s. In 2003, however, a $3 million renovation restored the State Theatre New Jersey to much of its original glory, as crews painstakingly rehabbed the ornamental plaster, terracotta exterior, and actor holding cells. Inside the theater, a stunning chandelier sparkles more brightly than ever below the venue's signature dome.