Seeing live music can be a transcendent mind-body experience, akin to getting a tattoo underwater or making out during an eclipse. Transcend boredom with today's GrouponLive deal.
- One ticket to Tafelmusik presents "A Handel Celebration"
- When: Tuesday, May 7, at 8 p.m.
- Where: George Weston Recital Hall
- Door time: 7:40 p.m.
- Ticket values include all fees.
- $31.82 for section B seating (up to a $63.37 value)
- $44.13 for section A seating (up to a $87.75 value)
- Click here to view the seating chart.
A Handel Celebration
Tafelmusik choir director Ivars Taurins presents a handpicked lineup of some of the German-cum-English composer's greatest choral masterpieces. A favorite of the English monarchy and upper class, Handel spent much of his time in London experimenting with oratorios—large-scale choral pieces usually set to text from the Old Testament. Finding success, he expanded his selection of source material, working from Greek legend, serenading the local countryside, and writing music for London celebrations.
Calling his program a pasticcio—an Italian pie filled with many ingredients—Taurins' selections include timeless hits and little-heard gems from Handel's catalogue. The evening's pieces include songs from such works as Semele, based on the myth of Dionysius' mother, L'Allegro ed il Penseroso, from poetry by John Milton, and Alexander Balus, which used the Biblical story of the Maccabees to celebrate the English crown's victory over pesky uprisings.