What You'll Get
- The Legislation, featuring stilt-performers and acrobats from Flam Chen, The Carpetbag Brigade, Brooklyn Moko Jumbies, and Circus Stella
- When: Saturday, May 31, at 7 p.m.
- Where: Arcosanti
- Door time: 6 p.m.
- Ticket values include all fees.
- $20 for two general-admission tickets (up to $40 value)
- $30 for two general-admission tickets plus a Caribbean-inspired buffet dinner (up to $60 value)
- What is The Legislation?: the grand finale of Global Stilt Congress 2014
- What does The Legislation legislate?: new stilt and acrobatic techniques that push the artistic limits of the form
- How does a stilt technique become stilt law?: by receiving a supermajority of “ooh” and “ahh” votes from the audience
- Who comprises the Global Stilt Congress?: representatives from Flam Chen, The Carpetbag Brigade, Brooklyn Moko Jumbies, and Circus Stella
- Who accompanies The Legislation?: an ambulant concert trio of accordion, violin, and vocals/keyboards, which also puts on a short solo concert
- What follows the concert?: The Carpetbag Brigade’s celebrated acrostilt production, Callings
- Who else will be dancing?: you, hopefully, during an evening-capping cumbia dance party propelled by DJ Logan Dirtyverbs
- Where it all takes place: architect Paolo Soleri’s experimental town/urban laboratory, Arcosanti, which strives to lessen ecological impact through design
Spinning fire creates a haze of smoke. A giant dances through it. There’s no stage around, no velvet seats to remind audiences they’re watching a show, so the scene feels like hallucination, or like a portal has opened up and granted eyes a glimpse into another realm. And such is the effect Flam Chen has sought to create for nearly 20 years. Through pyrotechnic displays tinged with technology and made more daring with acrobatics, the circus troupe’s performers create a dramatic playground where dark and light forces—at once human and animal—feed off each other.
Outside of performing a dozen original shows across the globe, the troupe performs custom performances for public causes and private commissions. Their theatricality has attracted the attention of masters of spectacle such as Tim Burton and Stan Lee, and made them shoe-ins to serve as the flyers during the Scream Awards. Yet their performances have also served a greater good: they’ve raised funds for local charities and communities, and worked with the non-profit Many Mouths One Stomach to create public celebration and ceremony.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Jun 1, 2014. Limit 2 per person. Valid only for option purchased. Redeem on 5/31 for a ticket at venue box office. Must show valid ID matching name on voucher at Arcosanti. Refundable only on day of purchase. Discount reflects Flam Chen's current ticket prices-price may differ on day of the event. Doors open 1 hour before showtime. For ADA seating, call box office promptly upon receipt of voucher - availability is limited. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.