- Admission to an improv show from The Shorties or the California Comedy Festival
- Where: Showdown Theater
- Seating: general admission
- Door time: 30 minutes before showtime
- Full offer value includes ticketing fees
- Click here to view the performance schedule
- Click here to view the festival schedule
- Two tickets to see The Shorties, Saturdays at 8:30 p.m. through August 29 (up to $20 value)
- Four tickets to see The Shorties, Saturdays at 8:30 p.m. through August 29 (up to $40 value)
- One three-day all-festival pass to the California Comedy Festival, May 15–17 at 6 p.m. (up to $25 value)
The Shorties and California Comedy Festival
- The Shorties: a troupe of quick-witted improvisers who perform off-the-cuff sketches and scenes, fueled by audience suggestions
- California Comedy Festival: a three-day event bringing together improvisors from around the country for workshops and performances
- The Host: Blacktop Comedy, a California theater specializing in Chicago-style improv
Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Steve Carrell, and Paul Burke. That last name might not sound familiar just yet, but it’s worth remembering. Burke began his improv training in 2004, learning at Chicago’s iO and Second City—theaters that helped kickstart the careers of the aforementioned comedy luminaries. And even after returning home to his native California, Chicago’s unique brand of honest improv stayed with him. So, in 2010, Burke founded Blacktop Improv to share that distinctive, deep dish theatrical style with a wider audience.
Today, the company’s performers pack the calendar with side-splitting shows. The Shorties entertain audiences with quick-witted short-form sets, while Yadda Yadda Yadda takes the stage for improvised a cappella concerts. And, in homage to the venue’s Windy City roots, the Chicago-style True Story show uses guest monologists’ stories as the inspiration for scenes that are simultaneously edgy, affecting, and hilarious.