All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
What You'll Get
- One ticket to see the TSO perform Brahms Symphony 4, starting from $25
- When: Wednesday, May 4, at 8 p.m. or Thursday, May 5, at 8 p.m.
- Click to view the seating chart
Ticket values vary depending on the date and showtime you select. Seating availability also varies depending on the date.
Bold violin and dramatic orchestral flair—that’s what you get when Peter Oundjian conducts the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, especially when Leila Josefowicz joins the fun. The acclaimed MacArthur Fellow violinist enters the program to add her verve to the Canadian premiere of a new work from John Adams.
- Brahms—Symphony No. 4 in E minor: The composer’s final symphony prompted strong reactions when it premiered—celebrated critic Eduard Hanslick is said to have burst out mid-performance that the music made him feel as though he was “given a beating by two incredibly intelligent people.” The exuberant third movement, however, proved so popular that audiences often demanded it be played again immediately.
- Beethoven—Overture to Egmont: The earthquake-low opening strains that give way to a melody both ominous and triumphant are an homage to the Count of Egmont, a political martyr who gave his life to fight tyranny; the piece gained a second life as the unofficial anthem of the 1956 Hungarian revolution.
- John Adams—Scheherazade.2: The solo violin is the star of this dramatic symphony. Its exotic melodies not only pay homage to Rimsky-Korsakov’s Arabian Nights suite but also take on the role of a modern Scheherazade: a woman whose life is threatened, who must draw upon her own grit and cunning to finally escape her tormentors. Ultimately, as Adams says, the work is “the next chapter in the story.”
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires May 5, 2016. Limit 8/person. Valid only for option purchased. Redeem on day of show for a ticket at the venue box office. Refundable only on day of purchase. Must purchase together to sit together. Discount reflects merchant's current ticket prices, which may change. Disability seating cannot be guaranteed; contact box office prior to purchase for availability. Ticket value includes all fees. Must provide email address at checkout which we will provide to facilitate redemption. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.