- $15 for one general-admission ticket (up to $25 value)
- Lachezar Kostov and Viktor Valkov on Tuesday, April 12, at 2 p.m.
- David Portillo on Tuesday, February 23, at 2 p.m.
Lachezar Kostov and Viktor Valkov
- Where they hail from: Bulgaria
- When they first played together: 2009
- How that worked out for them: pretty well, considering they won the Liszt Prize at the Liszt-Garisson International Competition in 2011
- Where else they’ve played: across the US, UK, Japan, Italy, Germany, and Bulgaria
- Where you can catch cellist Lachezar Kostov regularly: at the San Antonio Symphony, where he’s a tenured member who’s regularly praised for his skill, or at his house, probably, if you camp out on his porch
- Something pianist Viktor Valkov can claim that nobody else can: he’s the first pianist ever to perform Dimitar Nenov’s notoriously virtuosic Grande Piano Concerto in its entirety
- What Opera News said after one of David’s performances: he hit “high notes with ease, singing with a luxuriant warm glow that seduced the ear as he bounded about the stage with abandon”
- In other words: he’s good
- Two of the many awards he’s won: the 2009 American Opera Society of Chicago Award; the 2009 Shoshana Foundation Grant
- Esteemed collaborators include: Lyric Opera of Chicago, Théâtre des Champs-Élysées, and the Washington National Opera
San Antonio Tuesday Musical Club
The Tuesday Musical Club has corralled accomplished musicians to celebrate the art of music and stretch appreciation throughout the community for more than a century. During the annual Artist Series, four classical concerts punctuate the year, with past performers such as Isaac Stern, Arcadi Volodos, and Angelika Kirchschlager. In addition to introducing concertgoers to world-renowned musicians, the club showers special attention upon young performers, offering up a Young Artists Competition and a Junior Tuesday Musical Club, which fosters an early appreciation for complex arrangements and teaches children why some songs are better without artistic direction from Jay Z.
Laurel Heights United Methodist Church
227 W Woodlawn Ave.
San Antonio, TX 78212