What You'll Get
- Founded: in 1969 by bassist Chris Squire and vocalist Jon Anderson, making them the godfathers of the progressive-rock genre
- The Yes sound: richly textured arrangements, virtuosic playing, and shimmering harmonies paired with metaphysical lyrics
- Essential tracks: “I’ve Seen All Good People,” “Roundabout,” “Owner of a Lonely Heart,” “Close to the Edge”
- Current lineup: guitar wizard Steve Howe, savant drummer Alan White, keyboardist Geoff Downes, and lead vocalist Jon Davison, along with a recent addition—former member Billy Sherwood
- How Sherwood joined: At the behest of Squire, who had to leave the band to battle an illness in early 2015. He sadly passed away a few months later, but not before insisting that Yes soldier on with Sherwood as his replacement.
- What Alan White had to say about that: “Things can’t just stop, you know? We’ve got to maintain the Yes name and meet the high standards of musicianship Chris created,” he told Billboard
The Riverside Theater
As vaudeville heaved its last breaths in the late 1920s, RKO’s Riverside Theater opened in 1928 and served as a performance hall for just a few years before Warner Brothers took it over to screen their films. Decades of neglect followed, reaching a nadir in 1966 when a carelessly tossed cigarette butt incinerated the proscenium’s drapery, prompting the cash-conscious owners to replace the opulent teal velour with workmanlike duvetyn. A slated demolition in 1982 nearly replaced the theater with a shopping mall before a coalition of citizens convinced philanthropist Joseph Zilber to save the space. In the subsequent renovations, craftsmen installed plush red drapery, overhauled the obsolete lighting, and repainted the faded French Baroque gilding of the auditorium, restoring the elegant space to its former glory and inspiring it to get back out on the theater dating scene.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Aug 21, 2016. Limit 8/person. Redeem on day of show for a ticket at the venue box office. Refundable only on day of purchase. Must purchase together to sit together. Discount reflects merchant's current ticket prices, which may change. ADA seating cannot be guaranteed; contact box office prior to purchase for availability. Ticket value includes all fees. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.