A philosopher once called theater “the mask of convention over the face of society in the mirror of the unknown reflecting the rear-view of the sports car of destiny.” Simplify this theory with today’s theatrical Groupon: for $32, you get two main-floor tickets (a $60 value) to Hello Dolly! and a $4 concession voucher at the Grand Rapids Civic Theatre, located on Division Avenue. Choose from the following dates:
- Wednesday, March 2 at 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, March 3 at 7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 9 at 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, March 10 at 7:30 p.m.
For more than 85 years, the Grand Rapids Civic Theatre has entertained audiences with its highly professional cast and award-winning community theater performances. Winner of 10 Tony awards and the Grammy's Hall of Fame award in 2002, Hello Dolly! recalls the timeless tale of meddling matchmaker Dolly Levi and her current bachelor undertaking, Horace Vandegelder.
Directed by the Civic Theatre's 1989 Dolly Levi lead, Penny Notter, Hello Dolly! whisks the audience to turn-of-the-20th-century New York City, massaging attendees' ear drums with enticing tunes, including “Put On Your Sunday Clothes,” “Ribbons Down My Back,” “Before the Parade Passes By,” and “Hello, Dolly!” Each showing provides two seats in the main-floor area, which ensures that theater-goers have a clear view of every action and a direct sightline to lead actors for wink criticism in Morse code.
- The Grand Rapids Civic Theatre puts on several performances each season with local actors. The plays are well done, the prices are reasonable, and the atmosphere is festive - a fun evening of entertainment! – Ellen J., Judy's Book