Earthbound spirits still care about the planet, which is why haunted houses feature lights that suddenly go out and showers that shut off after three minutes. Feel the phantom power with today's Groupon: for $26, you get haunted-house admissions for four to Grimes Castle in Carson City (a $52 value). The house is open on the following dates:
- October 1, 7 p.m.–10 p.m.
- October 7, 7 p.m.–10 p.m.
- October 8, 6 p.m.–10 p.m.
- October 14, 7 p.m.–10 p.m.
- October 15, 6 p.m.–10 p.m.
- October 21, 7 p.m.–10 p.m.
- October 22 and 23, 6 p.m.–10 p.m.
- October 28, 7 p.m.–10 p.m.
- October 29 and 30, 6 p.m.–10 p.m.
- Halloween, 6 p.m.–9 p.m.
Engineered by a television broadcast specialist, Grimes Castle enlists a cast of more than 30 undead volunteers to skulk through the 6,000 square feet of its haunted house, where intricate presentation and lighting effects elicit chopper chattering. Plucky visitors embark on a 20-minute tour through the corridors of the castle's dungeon, where condemned spirit hosts regale them with a series of petrifying performances and an adventure as twisted and chilling as the abominable snowman's DNA. Some proceeds from the house are donated to the ROTC to alleviate ghosts of the guilt they feel over haunting so many residences without ever contributing to cable bills.