Like fondue parties, the most exciting basketball games involve lots of passing, some dribbling, and plenty of intimidating slam dunks. Learn to alley-oop with the best with today’s Groupon: for $5,000, you get an immersive basketball experience with the Harlem Globetrotters.
The experience includes the following:
- A 15-minute meet-and-greet with members of the Harlem Globetrotters
- A 30-minute private clinic for up to 10 people taught by Globetrotters
- VIP tickets to a same-day Globetrotters game for up to 10 people
- A Globetrotters basketball for each attendee
- A team jersey for each attendee
- A Globetrotters 2012 tour program for each attendee
- All 10 participants join the team, coaches, and mascot midcourt for the signature YMCA routine at the end of the third quarter
- One iPod nano preloaded with the Globetrotters’ famous “Sweet Georgia Brown” theme song
- One water cooler filled with team-branded basketballs, sweatbands, and whistles
Choose one of the following dates and locations:
* February 17, 2012, at the Izod Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey; game begins at 7 p.m.
* February 18, 2012, at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California; game begins at 7 p.m.
* March 10, 2012 at the AmericanAirlines Arena in Miami, Florida; game begins at 1 p.m.
Founded in 1926 and now entering their 86th consecutive touring season, the Harlem Globetrotters dazzle fans around the world with their combination of legendary basketball prowess and wacky on-the-court antics. During a meet-and-greet at the arena, up to 10 attendees can trade handshakes, elbow ribbing, and meatloaf recipes with members of the team’s current roster. Participants could include seven-foot-eight Tiny Sturgess, certified by Guinness as the World’s Tallest Professional Basketball Player, or sharpshooter TNT Maddox, the first female Globetrotter in almost 20 years, or Jacob “Hops” Tucker, the 2011 College Slam Dunk Champion who sports a 50-inch vertical leap. In a half-hour on-the-court clinic, team members impart skills that can help students re-create some of the most famous Globetrotter tricks—such as the 4-point shot, a 35-foot bomb that revolutionized science’s understanding of how far a basketball could travel without refueling. Following the lesson, clinic attendees slip into comfy, up-close VIP seats to witness the Globetrotters’ immense hoop skills during a live game, then take the court once again at the end of the third quarter to join the team, mascots, and coaches for their signature rendition of YMCA.
Along with the knowledge of the perfect form for spinning basketballs on their index fingers, each clinic student receives a colossal gift package from the Globetrotters. One aspiring baller can soundtrack future practice sessions with an iPod nano, preloaded with the Globetrotters’ theme song, while team-branded equipment, including basketballs, whistles, and sweatbands, stock players for at-home games and basketball-themed musical-theater productions. Bare bedroom and den walls find celebrity occupants with a stock of autographed player photos, and authentic Globetrotters’ jerseys give their wearers the street cred to frighten off lawless bands of referees.